Ok not that I like to indulge into controversy but I have been thinking for while now after having my own first bucket list (bucketlist 2013) last year. And this year also I was initially not keen to make one but then I end up writing a few things in it (bucketlist 2014). I was thinking this year if I do need a bucket list or not. Why bucket list? This was the question I asked myself last year as well before writing my list. Well I read some stuff on this as well where I saw both pros and cons of having a bucket list. Some says its good to write down the things you love to do in order to prioritize them in life. Others says it can sabotage you or can make you a tourist and not a traveller if you just do the things in your list all the time.
I was amazed how strong people’s opinion was about the term called bucket list. Ok let’s give it a new name then first to disassociate the bucket that looks like a limitation first of all that can only fit few things at one time. What would you call chasing your dreams and do things that make you happy? I don’t think we ever do anything in terms of bucket list that makes us feel miserable or unhappy right? So the key is happiness, sense of achievement and over all it’s a positive change that it brings in your life. I don’t want to associate it with death either as that’s the worst thing I can do to associate it with fear of dying one day. So I won’t call it a ‘things to do before I die’. I don’t want the name ‘to do list’ either as it should not be forced upon me just because I want to do these things doesn’t mean I have to pressure myself into doing it as that would cause more stress than happiness. ‘Wish list’ is not bad but not quiet appealable still.
Any ways the reason to write few things to do that makes you happy are many like:
- As humans we are quiet prone to laziness and just do whatever we do in our daily life the same way and become a bit robotic and get into our automatic gear to run our life
- We are not conditioned socially to think about our well being and happiness usually
- We are accustomed of thinking in terms of what is right and good in terms of the rules of society
- There are times that makes us think that we are not happy but then we start the blame game rather than changing something in our life
- Also we are prone to associate our happiness with the tangible things a lot of time (example: money which is basically a tool to do things in life that are either necessary or important but we start giving more importance in hoarding the money till death do us apart).
- We have so many mundane activities in day to day life that takes precedence and we loose focus on the important things in life
- It’s hard for us to prioritize things if we don’t have the focus around the important things
- Our brain is conditioned to use the data in form of list better than the random chunks of information or goals
- We are so used to of making a to do list in our head that anything similar gets done quickly or more clearly
But now that we understand that this particular list (or a new name that we would give this list soon) is important in order to focus on the important things in life what we are not supposed to do:
- This list is important but it should not stress you so much that you become upset or unhappy otherwise you loose the whole essence of having such a list
- With time our priorities and goals change as well as our likes and dislikes hence its important to revisit your list every now and then
- Don’t attach yourself to the list that not doing something from the list makes you dishearten at any time
- Don’t think that not being able to do something on the list is the end of the world as it is not
- Make sure you remember the reason you have a list – to make you happy. So anything on the list that you think is going to make you unhappy try to find a better item in its place
- It’s your list so don’t come under social pressure to complete anything on your list. Take your own pace and do it as you like not by the fear of what others would think. It’s your list and you can do whatever you want with it – change it, do it, cancel it whatever.
- Try to bring the balance of different kind of things on your list to make sure the start doesn’t discourage you and you always have the variety to choose from. For example: If you want to make abs then don’t obsess about it so much that you kill your self on the gym floor. Try to understand that having things on your list doesn’t make them magic items that can be done any quicker than their normal time. I had a item saying I want to run marathon whereas I had never run in my whole life for even 5 k. So I didn’t do it last year and training this year for obstacle course which is helpful to increase my stamina and also if I would like then I would run a marathon one day that too only in case I think I would enjoy it.
- Don’t have a list that you think would make you look cool in front of others but also think of the reason why you
At last but not the least do remember that you create a bucketlist to achive more and to be happy in life and the moment you start getting streesed due to it that means a problem and you need to start thinking why you had it in the first place.
Hope you have fun with or without bucket list doing things that you love my friend.